Monday, June 16, 2008

Emogene Mary O'Connor Stanley

We went to California on Wednesday to attend the funeral of Shawn's gramma Emogene. It was sad to see her go, but it was definitely her time. She had broken her hip, gotten pneumonia, and was getting worse every day. She was being taken care of by hospice and the last few days was in a coma, not eating or drinking anything. I know she is happier now because she is in no pain and now with her dear sweetheart. I LOVED Shawn's gramma. She was the sweetest, tiniest gramma I think I've ever seen! Lacy loved her too, she taught Lacy some really cute songs and Lacy learned "Woops a daisy" from her. All the grand-kids and great-grandkids called her gramma-gramma. Its so cute! I just love Shawn's family. We always have such a good time when we visit and miss them terribly when we are apart. I was lucky enough to help out with some things for the funeral. They let me make these really cute seed packets that had a cute poem about remembering Gramma when you plant the seeds and see the flowers that grow. I also got to make a collage of a bunch of pictures to see when you walked into the funeral. I also put together about 20 pictures in frames for all the kids and grandkids to take home and remember Gramma.The funeral itself was very lovely and very different at the same time. I have never been to a Catholic funeral before. It was really nice, all her daughters got up and said something about their mother. They did a communion thing (I am so naive when it comes to other religions) I didn't understand it all, but it was really beautiful. I enjoyed it but it made me really grateful for my testimony of the gospel. I am grateful for the knowledge I have of everything Christ has done for us and that if we live a good, obedient life, we can live with Him again.

No comments: